We started our latest series "Sold" on Sunday - looking at areas of life which God promises to us as followers of Jesus, but which we need to take hold of if we are to make them truly ours. If you missed it then the podcast is here.
One of the keys to laying hold of those areas is meditating on the Bible, and I suggested some verses to meditate on in relation to some different areas of life we might want to make ours. Why not use one of these verses as a beginning point for mediating. As you're doing that listen for, and be obedient to, whatever God says to you through it.
I'd love to hear how that goes for anyone, or any other reflection on how God is at work in your life.
- community - One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. (Proverbs 18:24 NIVUK)
- peace - Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6, 7 NIVUK)
- identity - Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God – children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God. (John 1:12, 13 NIVUK)
- forgiveness - And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. (Matthew 6:12 NIVUK)
- freedom - Jesus replied, ‘Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it for ever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. (John 8:34-36 NIVUK)
- joy - Nehemiah said, ‘Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.’ (Nehemiah 8:10 NIVUK)
- prosperity - Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life. (1 Timothy 6:17-19 NIVUK)
- health - Is anyone among you ill? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the ill person well; the Lord will raise them up. (James 5:14, 15 NIVUK)
- hope - May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. (Romans 15:13 NIVUK)
- purpose - For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. (Ephesians 2:10 NIVUK)
- authority - Then Jesus came to them and said, ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.’ (Matthew 28:18-20 NIVUK)