One of the biggest areas of growth in Kerith over the last few years has been our Sunday kids work. It's so exciting to see more and more children coming, and that as we've created space more children have come to fill it. That's true both with the rooms we've freed up in the Kerith Centre by moving the staff off site, and the new spaces we've created in Sandhurst where more and more children are coming every week. We're also seeing God do great things in the lives of many of those children - just brilliant.
As we know growth is great but it also produces challenges. This is particularly true in our kids work, where there are safeguarding ratios of numbers of adults to children we have to adhere to. That means that that if we don't have enough team then children who turn up after the groups have reached their capacity can only stay if their parents are willing to stay too.
We really want to avoid that ever happening, which is why in this season of "getting better" we want to make sure all our kids teams are fully staffed. That's where you come in, and where I'd love you to consider getting involved in our kids work if you aren't already. A few things to say about this:
- I'm so grateful for everyone who already serves. We have an amazing team already who do brilliant stuff with our kids - we're just in the process of making it even better.
- If you're a parent with children in our kids work then we'd love you to serve in one meeting a month. I personally did this when our children were under 11 - it's a great way to see what your children are learning, to thank those who are serving your children week after week, to serve in the life of the church and to meet new people.
- We need people to volunteer to serve at both the Sandhurst and Bracknell sites.
- We take making our kids work a safe place very seriously. That means that everyone involved has to fill out an application form and go through a DBS check (the replacement for the old CRB system). The DBS check is quite a pain, and can take a few weeks to come through, but is sadly a reflection of the society we live in and the need to put the safety of the children above everything else.
- There are loads of different serving options so don't worry that you need to be some amazing children's entertainer to get involved (although if you are we'd love to meet you!). Opportunities include:
- Receptionists (for the 5-9’s – we need a receptionist for every single week in that group!)
- Small group leaders (for the 5-9’s)
- Buddies for children with special needs
- Techies to run all the audio visual equipment
- Facilities teams to set up and set down – especially at Sandhurst
- Helpers in under 5’s (especially ages 3,4 at the 11am meeting in Bracknell)
If you would like to get involved please either fill in one of the "New to Kerith" forms on a Sunday and say you'd like to get involved in kids, talk to any of the team on a Sunday, or best of all contact Lydia Harris-Lane who heads up all our kids work via the who's who page of the website. I know she'd love to hear from you.
Thank you so much,