It is hard to imagine a time in the recent history of our nation that we need to be praying more for our government and those in authority. Here are some ideas on what we can be praying:
- Pray for wisdom for everyone involved in the Brexit negotiations. Pray for Boris Johnson, Jeremy Corbyn, the cabinet and shadow cabinet, Jo Swinson, Nicola Sturgeon, Angela Merkel, Emmanuel Macron, your local MP and Christian MPs in parliament. Pray through it all for God’s kingdom to come and his will to be done.
- When you have no idea how to pray for when it comes to Brexit pray in tongues! And if you haven’t got the gift of tongues then now might be a good time to ask for it.
- Pray that in all the negotiations the needs of the vulnerable and marginalised in our society will be kept to the forefront.
- Pray that God would begin to bring healing to our divided and broken nation.
- Pray that in the midst of it all God would raise up the church, and individual Christians to have a prophetic voice which speaks love, hope, challenge and purpose to our nation.
- Pray that God would use all the turmoil and uncertainty to cause people to come to know him.
I’d also love it if you could spend some time praying for our own local expressions of working for justice.
- Pray for our Foodbank, debt counselling, job club, life skills courses, reading and writing courses, recovery groups and all our other justice ministries. Thank God for the army of volunteers who make all of this possible.
- Pray for our TLG coaches going into primary schools to work alongside children in danger of being excluded from school.
- Thank God for all the children being fostered and adopted in our community, and for our partnership with Home for Good which is helping fuel this work. Pray for more families and individuals to be inspired to foster or adopt a child.
- Pray for our team going into local prisons to run Alpha Courses and lead Sunday services. I heard last Sunday over 50 inmates attended a service our team were running and one guy gave his life to Christ.
- Pray for our work supporting families who have children with additional needs and our group for adults with additional needs.
- Pray for our work with the homeless, including the night shelter in Windsor and the GPs who come into the cafe on our Bracknell site to offer medical support.
- Pray and thank God for for the legal support we are now able to offer to people attending the cafe.
- Pray for anything I’ve missed, plus all those people in Kerith working for justice outside of our own church ministries.
Well done if you’ve prayed this far! Know that God has heard your prayers, and they are already making a difference.